Department: Accounting & Finance
Location: Golden, CO
Statement: To know Christ Jesus, and fulfill his Great Commission.
The role of the
Payroll Specialist is to assist with all functions of the Payroll department,
with an emphasis on processing payroll in a timely and accurate manner. The Payroll Specialist will ensure the
accuracy in processing payroll transactions in accordance with the policies and
procedures of FOCUS and able to work independently. He/she will also contribute
to the month-end close process and annual audit. Additionally, the Payroll Specialist will
provide support to departments within FOCUS regarding payroll issues, and
proactively communicate with department supervisors to ensure confidential data
is processed timely, consistently and accurately. Finally, the Payroll Specialist will be
called upon to perform ad hoc research and projects.
specialist position duties – performed per established procedures – will
include but are not limited to the following:
- Process 2 monthly payroll runs for
approximately 800 employees.
- Reconcile gross pay, deductions and
- Reconcile benefits between payroll system and
carriers. Research any discrepancies.
- Possess working knowledge of the
interdependencies between the payroll processing system and the impact on
- Contribute to month-end process, reconcile
payroll accounts including liability accounts, payroll audits, validations,
including journal entries and accruals.
- Perform payroll management duties in addition
to support for payroll manager.
- Able to respond resourcefully and
constructively to new requests, priorities and challenges.
- Resolves and closes all help desk tickets in
a timely manner.
- Actively participates in the annual audit.
- Actively participates in special projects as
- Assists with implementation and maintenance
of internal controls and procedures.
- Assist accounting with the reconciliation of
bank account in regards to payroll transactions.
- Accounting degreed and/or equivalent industry
- CPP Designation is a plus
- Minimum 2 years’ payroll experience
- Decision-making skills
Experience & Skills
- Strong computer skills
- Advanced Excel skills (VLOOKUP, pivot tables,
- Proficient in data entry
- Ceridian (Dayforce) a plus
- Possess strong organizational skills,
effective and proactive problem-solving skills, and an ability to handle
multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Consistent attention to detail – able to
maintain accuracy when performing detail-oriented and repetitive processes.
- Excellent communication and writing skills
Schedule & Environment
Standard professional work week: Monday through Friday, with increased
hours when necessary (month-end close, end-of-year, annual audit, etc.).